Monday 9 April 2012

Starting off...

Inspirational reading
My current work in progress 'The Wedding Ghost' is taking shape. I am happy to admit that I owe a lot to Susan Hill's 'The Woman in Black' which I have loved since it came out in 1983. My story is quite distinct but informed by her structure - the way the mood shifts from beautiful description to eerie scenes and then on to deep fear - and yet there is a surprising amount of happiness too. The reader becomes aware of how much is threatened.
         I love ghost stories and I expect I will discuss a good few more as this blog develops. This first post is to acknowledge the debt that I owe one of my most-read writers. Few others convey that intensity of feeling with precision of observation in my view. It can feel a bit claustrophobic - but that is no bad thing in a supernatural tale, I believe. This strength of emotion is essential to a well-told ghost story - and my intention is to convey a similar psychological state. Prepare to be chilled.

1 comment:

  1. I truly admire a well told ghost story - but I value my sleep too much to indulge often!

    ReplyDelete