Tuesday 30 April 2013

Dia de los Muertos

The Day of the Dead, celebrated in Mexico and other usually Catholic countries.

The last time I was looking for images to go with my post about the Mistletoe Bride - I found one or two to do with  Dia de los Muertos. I put them on one side , resolving to use them later.



As it so happens, I have been invited  to a Mexican themed party. Immediately, I thought of Frida Kahlo - though not perhaps like this - dressed as a traditional Mexican bride with intricate lace and flowers on her crown and Diego Ribiera on her mind.


But it brought me back to those Day of the Dead Brides. In Mexico, the orange marigold or Flor de Muerto is thought to summon the dead. People make altars with sugar skulls and other offerings to their dead family members.


This bride seems to have been waiting a while.


And this one's even called the Waiting Bride.


 People make masks and there is a carnival atmosphere, I've read.


 You can dress up like this Corpse Bride by following the link below.
By Crafty Chica
But with all those masks and disguises, how can you know who - or what - is behind them?










No comments:

Post a Comment